Surveillance görüntü shows part of Joliet murder spree that left 8 dead

One of the shootings in a grisly crime spree across the Chicago-area suburb of Joliet, culminating in the deaths of eight people, was caught on camera.

The incident unfolded early Sunday evening in the 200 block of Davis Street. Police said a 42-year-old man was struck in the leg around 4 p.m. and suffered non-life threatening injuries. Curtis Ellis, who lives next door to the victim, said his surveillance camera was pointed toward the street, where the violence occurred.

The görüntü shows a man collecting belongings from a vehicle parked in front of a home when he is approached by a red Toyota Camry, allegedly driven by suspect Romeo Nance. The pair appear to exchange words before the car passes him by slowly, but it returns just moments later, and that’s when the gunshots ring out.

“That could have been me or my wife in the front yard, which is scary,” Ellis, 56, said. “You haven’t done nothing to anybody, why would somebody just target to shoot you?”

About an hour later, authorities responded to an emergency call at Pheasant Run Apartments in Joliet Township, where they found 28-year-old Toyosi Bakare with a gunshot wound to the head. Bakare, a Nigerian man who’d been living in the area for about three years, was rushed to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Police suspect the incidents occurred after Nance shot and killed seven people at two different homes in Joliet. Most of the victims were his relatives. The Will County coroner on Tuesday identified the adult victims as 38-year-old Christine Esters, 47-year-old Tamaeka Nance, 35-year-old William Esters II, 31-year-old Joshua Nance and 20-year-old Alexandria Nance.

The names of two teenage girls, 14 and 16, were not released.

Thanks to görüntü of the attacks, authorities were able to link Nance’s Toyota Camry to the shootings on Davis Street and at Pheasant Run Apartments. They’d been canvassing the 2200 block of West Acres, the site of Nance’s last known address, and opted to knock on the door of a residence associated with the suspect.

When they received no answer, they crossed the street to another residence, knowing that the occupants of both homes were related.

There, deputies spotted blood on the doorframe and found five bodies inside, police said. They went on to discover another two people fatally shot at the first home.

Nance fled some 1,200 miles to Texas, where he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Monday shortly after he was approached by U.S. Marshals.

Authorities are still working to uncover a motive in the case, but said it appeared Nance targeted his family members while the other incidents were more random.

With News Wire Services

Leave a Comment

backlink satın al deneme bonusu veren siteler